Skip to main content

Day 0 Loading.......

 Vakratunda Mahakaya Suryakoti Samaprabha।

Nirvighnam Kuru Me Deva Sarva-Kaaryeshu Sarvada॥

Goa is known for its Nature, beauty , beaches and people ,  another reason where in most of the tourists don't know is for celebrating its festivals. It may be Ganesh Chaturthi, Diwali, Christmas or any jatra or feast for that matter we see to it that we enjoy each and every moment and also celebrate it religiously. 

Tomorrow is Ganesh Chaturthi so you will find entire Goa busy in making preparations for the big day . I know its the covid time, some people might say what is the need to celebrate when time is so much crucial but Ganesh Chaturhti is not just a festival its a feeling of each and every Goan individual who belong to Hindu family and I think no one can stop us in celebrating in our own house with family members. Lord Ganesha here is not considered just as the god but as if its a family member, or a close friend who was staying away from us for entire year and who visits our house once a year for 5 days .

I remember whenever we used to fight in my childhood days my mom would always say "Ganpatik vayat distale, apun gharant ayla ani tumi zagdtat mhan" Which literally means "Ganesha might feel bad because you people are fighting in his presence" such are the emotions attached to Ganesh Chaturthi where every individual have some or the other memories attached to this festival and they are always sweet. 

Ganesha Idol is kept in house for 1.5 days or 5 days or 7 days,  some people do immersion even on Anant Chaturdashi. As a kid I always wanted to participate in each and every thing related to this festival, it might be decoration, or cleaning our hall so that we can do set up for makhar or even some delicacy preparations like nevryos, laddos, chakris. 

If there is newly wedded couple in the house then its more fun, Mostly because of vaje (in hindi you can consider as shagun where in brides family sends lot of things to grooms family).

Day zero begins with making of laddos specially for ganpati which is made of 5 items (cashew nuts, gram dal, puffed rice, til, jaggery). most people do decoration previous day in my house its before 1 week. Some people also have Gauri Agaman(Worshi of Gauri Ganpatis mother), but we do it on the day of Chaturthi itself. Day zero also marks for shopping of Matoli(various wild flowers and plants, fruits ) which is used to offer lord Ganesha. Matoli is always loaded for 5 days.

Fun is during the time when g\Ganesh idol is brought inside house . This is the time any women from the house waits with arti chi thali (diya plate) in her hands also with raath(liquid made out of haldi, sindhur , water ) . When Idol is brought inside we make him sit on nice Rangoli decorated wooden plank. After arati idol is made to sit at least for 5 minutes and then we get him inside and Idol is kept in Devachi Kud(Gods room). We can see him either for this 5 minutes or directly next day early morning when pooja is done. Because once he is moved to Devachi  Kud he is again wrapped in news paper and cloth and kept so that no one disturbs him(Thats his me time so that next 5 days he can spend with us ;)).

Once he enters the house you can see adrenaline rush in each and every ones body,  every inch of air gets filled with happiness and spirituality. As a growing kid I was always worried about Ganesh Chaturthi festival. Most of the time I avoided going out of Goa for work just in the fear that I might miss out on the Ganesh Chaturhit part. I think only time I missed Ganesh Chaturth was when I was young and someone in the family expired during Ganesh Chaturthi we had to do Visarjan early that year. Also During the time I had gone to Ladakh It was one of my stupid mistake where in I booked my tickets 4 months before without thinking about Ganesh Chaturthi. 

While growing up I grew up in joint family it was more fun that time as every one used to come to decorate or help in some or the other way, as days passed people got busy in their own lives and very few were seen actively on their toes in order to help. Also funniest part is all the fights and quarrels were kept aide during this 5 days so that everyone celebrates this festival with happiness. One house has only one Ganapati , motto of this festival in previous days were to get families together. 
There are some families who celebrate together even after their family members exceeded 100 - 150 members.  

During Portuguese Era Goans were not allowed to celebrate Ganesh Chaturhti in Sarvajanik ways . Sarvajanik Ganpati was started by Lokmanya Tilak so that he could gather all the people together in this festival also so that he could start with its independence movement 

Someone in my previous company had asked me its just a festival why are you so excited is it this that you want to be promoter of  Hinduism and I had obvious answer, for me being Hindu or following Hinduism is not the religion or culture rather its the way of living life and its the way of finding happiness while being on the path of spirituality.

Although Lord Krishna is supreme head of universe, till today's date we do celebrate everything with Ganesh Vandana first. I do have one soft corner for Ganesh Chaturthi it may be because I had lot of good old memories of my entire family coming together, or it may be because as a Goan always importance was given to this festival, it may also be because lord Ganesha stays only for 5 days . So many things .... 

This is just day 0 , Stay tuned for remaining 5 days 


Matoli , offerings made for Ganesha


Laddos for Prasada


previous day preparations so that everything is in place next day

I never saw any other pattern then this in my entire life. Its always a night mare telling my dad to change this design.

When king arrives. 

All preparations for Matoli

Nevryo(Gujiya, karhekayi)


This is last years photo, Everyone is engrossed in Kakas stories 

Makhar for Bappa

Last years Matoli

In between decorations




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purane kapde....ya naye

It was the last day of Ganesh Chaturthi I was wearing a beautiful white chikankari kurta hand-stitched by one of the local tailors. It was looking so pretty and me too definitely 😉. I actually had stitched it specially for Ganesh Chaturthi but for the entire 5 days did not get time to wear it or you could say it was raining very heavily so I was worried about it getting dirty. Finally, on the last day, I wore it while going to my cousin's place.  All the time I was just worried about what if it gets dirty, my manstruation date was due so I was worried what if it gets stained. Since it was raining heavily what if some car splashed water on me. Not one but a thousand questions 😏.  And to be frank with all these questions I wore it till Visarjan and when I came back home just changed into my old clothes ... started doing all the work wearing that same old t-shirt which has one hole on the sleeves given by a stray dog. My old clothes were already stained with turmeric stain which I g

My First Love

First of all Happy  Birthday.............................. :) :D to my laptop DELL INSPIRON 5520 (people who need specification can google it). Today its a great day for me since my laptop is turning a year old .Thank you for being with me in my good,bed,bad times (bad because I have a habit of sleeping with laptop on my stomach , sleeping and browsing is my favorite time pass). Yes this was my first love , it is and will be . I don't know how I got so much attached  to my laptop but there was something that led me to love this laptop more than my self . I can't sleep when anything happens to it , like  now even when I'm writing this article  pointer doesn't respond properly , it get's stuck in between  ....    :(   ,    I'm facing this problem  from last 4 days so yesterday I tried to reintall the drivers , for some time it worked properly and after some time same thing started again so I restarted thinking it might work properly and go to see , it starte

Do we feel - All Indians are my Brothers and Sisters

I don't know whats is cooking in my brain today... Just some thoughts which are popping up randomly and not allowing me to sleep Before moving to Bangalore I was surrounded by mostly by Goans. For us anyone and everyone outside Goa is Bhikna(Only Goans will understand this term so don not try to google). Goans normally don't like migrants because we always feel our land will be grabbed again, same like how Portuguese took it from us 450 years back. When I was a kid I personally hated all the migrants, I used to fight with all my classmates whoever where migrants. My kiddish brain never understood the real meaning of Indian Pledge. India is my country all Indians are my brothers and sisters was just for the name sack , just for the sack of saying . When I was in Higher Secondary I understood the real worth of me as Indian . I realized how united we are and how obvious it is to go to any other state without any choice and work there. Every Indian loves its own land abundantl